Thursday, March 1, 2012

A Place to Be


My home isn’t as good as it once was, but I’ve lived here all my life and I’m comfortable.  Over time, the creaking noises have grown louder, and there are plumbing issues and the wiring isn’t that great.  But at least I have a place to be, which counts for a lot.

You might say it’s “cozy”, but I think it is just right.  There are only two rooms, the main room and the sun porch.  If you came inside, you’d see I spend most of my time in the main room.  It’s awfully cluttered and needs a good cleaning.  I would only describe it to you though, I’d never have anyone in.  

I also don’t go out.  I live alone, but I’m not lonely.  I have the radio for company.  Ah yes, the radio.  There is this damned problem with the radio, the little knob never did work right.  It won’t turn off, and the plug is out of reach behind the bookcase.  I can adjust the volume a little and change stations, but otherwise it’s always on. 

When the radio starts to drive me crazy, I go out to the sun porch.  It’s got big windows, and is filled with light and all kinds of house plants.  When I close the door behind me there, I am suddenly in another world, silent and warm and I reward myself with a deep breath of invigorating air.  I feel embraced by the room’s humid fragrance and am completely refreshed.  The sun porch energizes me and the peaceful feeling lasts long after I leave.

I know what you’re thinking, because I’ve also had the thought many times that I should just live out there instead.  But one has to make choices, and I think it’s important to keep up with the news and such on the radio.  Also, I know it sounds crazy, but it somehow seems creepy that the radio would still be playing, but with no one there to listen. 

Still, sometimes it’s hard to come back in from out there.  After spending a quiet afternoon gazing through the sunny windows, I often feel the urge to venture out the porch door for a long, pleasant walk over the green, wooded hills.....

No comments:

Post a Comment

The settings page indicates comments can be posted, but others have had trouble in the attempt. Let me know at rjworrall@gmail.com if either have trouble posting, or if you have a comment you would like to send along.